Our kind of love …
Earlier today, one of our friends sent a picture of a car to Dusty. I saw the picture and told him about it because he was cooking dinner. He asked what kind of car it was. I said "red" because that is how I describe cars. He looked at the picture and talked about the make and model and guessed the year and talked about how nice and awesome and whatever else it was. Once I hear all these words, I then think "red and expensive".
This is just one of the differences that we have. Car details mean nothing to me. However, I will detail you to death about pretty much anything else in the world. And do you know where I get those details? From my thousands of lists I have made in my lifetime. Lists that keep me sane and focused on what I need to do, things that need to be packed, or cleaned, or whatever else. I do not think I have ever seen Dusty make a list. Ever. He does not even know what he is missing by the way!
We have many differences. In the the nearly seven (holy cow, seven?!) years we have been together, we have found these differences. Sometimes, it is through a rolling fit of laughter. Sometimes, it is in total frustration. Dusty was much less affectionate in public. It drove him NUTS that I would hold his hand walking through the mall. I am usually so very serious. Dusty has to remind me that I am not a 90 year old woman. We also have things in common. Like our amazing families or Texas Tech football or hate of the NBA. Our newest thing in common is a brown eyed little boy who is nearly 1. (Insert ugly cry..)
I realize now that the things that drove me crazy in years past were preparation for this time with our son. Dusty would wrestle and antagonize the dogs into barking fits. My eyes would nearly roll out of my head by the time they all got quiet. Now, he does that with Gunner and I cannot help but smile. Gunner loves it. I love watching it. We have changed individually and as a couple, for the good I believe. Therefore, our love has changed. It has become much deeper than the first time I saw him at Buffalo Wild Wings and thought, what a hottie. That is right, two T's. No shame.
We recently celebrated (or survived, depending on your outlook) Valentine's Day. I told Dusty I wanted to get a mani and pedi for my gift. I went after work on Valentine's Day and came home to a large bouquet of flowers and card from Dusty. There was also a second bouquet and card from Gunner. Dusty had made a candlelight dinner and was dressed up in a suit, complete with the hat Gunner wore for his snowman pictures. It was the cutest thing ever. I felt so blessed to sit in front of a steak dinner with my husband and son.
And then the stomach bug hit our house. I walked in one morning to get Gunner since he was talking and playing in his crib. (I love getting this time because sometimes he is still asleep when I leave for work.) The smell hit me immediately. I went through the motion of checking his diaper but I knew. You cannot truly mistake the smell of vomit. I got Gunner out of bed and yelled to Dusty that Gunner had thrown up during the night. Dusty immediately came in and hugged on Gunner. I started the bath and washed that nasty stuff off my baby. Dusty stripped the sheets and started the washer. They should make this part of your marriage vows because vomit can make or break you. Seriously, sour milk stays in your nose allllll day.
Cleaning up vomit means more to me than all the flowers Dusty could ever get me. Watching Gunner three nights a week so I can go work out, cooking dinner most nights, getting Gunner up and to BonBon's every single morning is hard work. It is his daily reminder to me that he loves me. Please do not misunderstand me. It is not perfect. We still drive each other crazy but the good is great. It is amazing. It is laughing together for half an hour at something that no one else would find funny. It is getting teary eyed as we go back through pictures of Gunner together. It is watching our son take this first steps. This is our love story- vomit and all. Some things will never change. Dusty will still constantly look at cars he wants to buy (and we cannot afford) and call the green crusties in your eye sleepy instead of sleep. I will still overhelp him into frustration. I hope we have another 60 years together… to show him that I am always right. Always.
![]() |
| Dusty HATES this hat. I wear it for him. |
| June 5, 2010 |
![]() |
| And then there were three! |
| This is what being outnumbered by boys looks like. |
![]() |
| Right after college graduation in 2009. |
And then the stomach bug hit our house. I walked in one morning to get Gunner since he was talking and playing in his crib. (I love getting this time because sometimes he is still asleep when I leave for work.) The smell hit me immediately. I went through the motion of checking his diaper but I knew. You cannot truly mistake the smell of vomit. I got Gunner out of bed and yelled to Dusty that Gunner had thrown up during the night. Dusty immediately came in and hugged on Gunner. I started the bath and washed that nasty stuff off my baby. Dusty stripped the sheets and started the washer. They should make this part of your marriage vows because vomit can make or break you. Seriously, sour milk stays in your nose allllll day.
| Christmas 2013 |



Comments
Post a Comment