My List of Thankfulness

Our Thanksgiving is officially wrapping up. Well kinda, we still have two more celebrations this weekend but all the turkey eating is over. We had a really great day. Our blonde headed alarm clock was right on schedule at 7 AM. After cinnamon rolls and bacon, I started cooking my first turkey then played with Gunner. Later, I made the rest of lunch… which turned out fantastic. Turkey, green beans, corn on the cob, crack potatoes (thank you pinterest), bread, and cranberry sauce. I am typically not a food poster but I was so proud of my meal! After lunch, we all had a nap. Finally, at 3:30 I figured I should get out of my pajamas. Dinner with family followed, full of turkey and memories. I am so grateful for the blessings that God continues to pour down on me. I so easily take things to granted. Last Sunday, the pastor preached on complaining. Which I do. A lot. Not even registering that I am doing it. It is a habit I intend to break. If I can answer no to "will this affect me in a day?" then I need to move on. If the answer is yes and I do not like the outcome then I need to find a way to change it. So to balance out the complaining that I did all year long, here is my list of things that I am thankful for. Some mundane and some life altering.


My Jesus. Growing up, I vividly remember going to church in Austin. At the big Lutheran church. I remember not wanting to go to Sunday School but being promised time on the playground. God overlooks that type of bribery. I am so thankful that I had a good relationship with the church because it lead to be an everlasting relationship with Jesus. He died for my sins. He died for your sins. I am grateful that He has graciously promised me a spot in Heaven.

My "new" last name and all that came with it. I am so thankful that I forced Dusty to date me when all he wanted was to see a movie and he was too chicken to go alone. I love him very much but I also love his family. I love that they get together nearly every Sunday for lunch. I love that so many of their home videos have each other in them. I love that they take trips together. I (sometimes) love that no one can keep a secret. It means they are praying for each other. 

My "old" last name and what it made me. Diabetic. Just kidding but it does run in the family. My parents have taught me that you make your home by those who fill it, not the physical location. I love living close to them so that Gunner can love them like I do. I am so grateful for my sister and that we get to raise kids together. I am thankful for the memories with my aunts, uncles, and cousins. Also, I am thankful for Daddy who consults on my fantasy football line up-I'm looking at a playoff spot. 

My son. I still feel giddy sometimes saying "my son". He is such a dream. His behavior is not perfect but that is my job, my opportunity to teach him. I know that the trials of parenthood are overwhelming and endless but I am so grateful that we were chosen as his parents. That I did not have to endure the uncertainty of infertility or the loss of a pregnancy. He will forever hold a piece of my heart, even if he does love to eat dog food. 

My education. Even though I will be paying for it for several years more, I am so thankful that I was encouraged to go get it. To make decisions for myself. To prove myself. To push myself out of my comfort zone. The friends I made and experiences I had while at Texas Tech are ones that I truly cherish, with rose tinted glasses sometimes. I worked for the diploma that hangs in my office and I am thankful for the opportunity to earn it. 

Our continued health. We have been so healthy. Social media is absolutely saturated with stories of families that are spending their lives in hospitals or missing loved ones. They absolutely break my heart. I am so grateful that I get to watch Gunner player with no fear of pain. I am thankful that Dusty and I can go to jobs every day to support our family and that our parents are still here, watching us be parents. 

Books. Nerd alert I know but books mean so much to me. I enjoy reading of other places and times. Of learning lessons from characters. To think of them as real people. Reading is my favorite hobby by far. I am so grateful for the authors who put their ideas on paper, sharing with me if only for a brief time. I hope to pass that love down to Gunner one day. Currently, he loves swinging rolls of wrapping paper around like a sword so its a work in progress. 

Modern conveniences. Let's be honest, this is on every one's list but few would admit it. I'm not saying I couldn't make it without air conditioning and microwaves, I'm just saying let's not try. I am grateful that they allow me more time with my family. I am thankful that it means I can hear some one's voice on the other end of my cell phone. We need to be a world that uses these for good, not evil. 

These do not even begin to cover the blessings that I receive on a daily basis. These are just the ones that I make sure to say thank you for every night, before I say amen. I hope your day was filled with people to love, food to eat, and more blessings than you can count. 

PS. Thank you to the service men and women who spent this holiday away from home. I am so grateful for the opportunity to have a day with my family, with no fear. 

Comments

  1. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  4. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete

Post a Comment

Popular Posts