Be the hope...
I honestly do not remember why I initially signed up to be a bone marrow donor several years ago. I began researching it and realized it was something that I wanted to do. I signed up and did the mouth swabs. I received my donor card and tucked it away. Cancer happened to other people, don't you know?
Then Owen was diagnosed with leukemia and it suddenly became very real to me. Knowing that that specific cancer (AML) was sometimes treated with a bone marrow transplant made me dig out my donor card. It ended up not being in his treatment plan but the fact was clearer than ever: countless others are facing the procedure, searching for a donor. I verified that my information was up to date with my center, in case they needed to contact me. In case I was the hope that would be promised to a family.
More recently, Avery was diagnosed with ALL. Her treatment also does not involve a bone marrow transplant but so many of the families that Avery and her parents are seeing at the hospital are preparing for one. Specifically, a little boy named Brayden. (He has found someone willing to donate bone marrow through Be The Match.) Even with Avery’s world being turned upside down, her parents are raising awareness of an organization that does not even fall within their daughter’s treatment. Truly selfless. In December, they are doing a Marrow Registry Drive in Illinois. I realize this is not an event we can be at physically. You can however sign up online today or any day following.
What if you are a match to someone’s child? http://www.bethematch.org/Stories/Patient-stories/Your-self-sacrifice-saved-our-daughters-life/
What if you are a match to someone’s mother? http://www.bethematch.org/Stories/Patient-stories/A-single-mother-s-transplant-story/
These stories are the success stories. The ones that make you cry happy tears. I am so grateful for them. I also know there are other stories. The ones of holidays remembering ones that passed, of pictures of an incomplete family, of bittersweet birthdays with no one to blow out the candles. If you could be the difference in the story’s ending, would you do it?
Please do not underestimate the magnitude of this decision. Do your research, all of it. Be The Match has a great website but find other resources. Talk with others about this decision, listen for their feedback. Pray about it, by yourself and with others. This decision may change the lives of a family so it deserves a steadfast commitment. You always have the option to not donate later but realize you may be one of only two or three potential matches. If you change your mind, their survival rate may be affected.
There are some restrictions for donors (click here to see those). They are listed on the website very clearly. Do not be discouraged if you are not a candidate. You can volunteer or give a monetary donation, if that is an option for you. You can talk to other who may be candidates.
I’m not sure there is anything left to say. Please realize I am saying these things as a parent to a healthy child. I have not had to watch my child become sick beyond a cold or stomach bug. Even in those times, I felt helpless to him, waiting for the bug to run its course. Dusty and I have chosen to sign up as bone marrow donors for many different reasons. I recently reaffirmed my decision to be a donor because right now a parent is receiving the world altering news about their child. And what if one day I hear the words "your child has Leukemia". I would pray that someone, the medical match to my greatest joy, had signed up to donate. To be my hope.
Comments
Post a Comment