Glowin' for Owen!
Honestly, I wanted to get this done earlier this week but we took a vacation to Vegas and time just got away from me. However, it works out perfectly because today is Owen's last day of chemo at Cooks Children's! I realize we are not in the same room for the chorus sound, but can you say an amen?! Also, he is officially a toddler as of Thursday. Ahhh!
Some days, January 12th feels like a million years ago, and some days, it seems like yesterday. My stomach still knots up when I think of that day and waiting for the news that seemed to get worse and worse. Because of Gunner and Owen's closeness in age, I have cycled through so many emotions over the last 3 months, as a mother and as someone who loves Owen! I cannot imagine how much more magnified these feelings would be for Joseph and Allison, living these feelings every second of the day, making decisions, and holding hope with such faith. They have been so involved in his care. They know the terminology and what his numbers should be, what they were last, and when they will be checked again. I am in awe of their understanding of what is happening with Owen. They are wearing so many hats right now as parents, playmates, and caregivers. Once again, I am in awe.
![]() |
| Baby boys on their birthdays are my favorite! |
I am so excited to talk about Glowin' for Owen! Saturday night went so very well considering it was the first time I had organized a fun run! The weather was amazing, even with the forecast of rain. (After the last several years, I would never turn down rain but I was secretly hoping it would at least wait until late night!) The weather was cool and clear. I was thrilled and as prepared as I could be!
I had so many people who came early and stayed late to help. I appreciate them all so much. I was never stressed throughout the night. I was able to enjoy it with everyone else. So fun! I had a system set up in my mind and it seemed to work well enough. Thank you to all the participants who were so very patient with us. I somehow forgot to mention to everyone that we had the restrooms open for them. Probably half my runners and walkers were changing in their cars. So sorry friends! Sometimes I require people to read my mind. It is one of my best qualities according to my husband. Ha.
We had a few who were unable to come that night but we had several more who registered once they got to the track. Once everyone was registered, we took group pictures and told Owen "happy birthday!" Unfortunately, I cut off the first part of "happy" so he got a "ppy birthday Owen!" but we added clapping at the end, so I am hoping he did not notice. Because it was a fun run, I wanted to have "awards" in place of fastest time. I had oldest, youngest, traveled the farthest, and best glow costume. Our youngest was 5 months old and our oldest participant was 75 years old. If that does not represent the people who came out to support Owen, I do not know what would! I had been in contact with someone from Arkansas who I just knew the cookies for farthest traveled would go to. However, we had a runner from Colorado! Can you believe it!? I was so excited to have so many people from out of state. (Sorry about your cookies Audra!) We had an individual and a group who had prepared glow outfits. I divided the prizes between them to be fair.
![]() |
| Shyanne- our 5 month old participant! |
We started the race right after 8 PM. I loved watching so many people start the fun run for Owen. I had plans to get organized again but I had just enough time to get to the finish line with my camera before the runners were coming through! Kolby McKinney, Justin Dickson, and Hunter Long were my top three finishers. (Also, one last apology to Hunter for giving his third place ribbon away for a few minutes. I still feel terrible Hunter!) These guys flew. People kept coming in and that is when I got emotional. I had done so well holding it together. I guess because I could watch each person come in individually, it made me realize what 100+ people really looked like. Our last participant made it while holding a lighted cross for the entire two miles. She had determined before the race that she would finish, in her own time, and her own pace. I was so blessed to see her cross the line, and doing a jig no less.
| The boys told me they needed to be podium style so first center, second left, and third right. |
Thank you, thank you, thank you to everyone who helped in some way with Glowin' for Owen! Cross Plains ISD for the use of the track (and the bathrooms that might have been used 4 times-ugh!), all my sponsors (nearly all of whom have donated for both benefits in Cross Plains), all my participants (runners, walkers, stroller riders), all the newspapers who ran Owen's story, and my in-laws who let Gunner ride around in the mule all evening so I could focus on everyone else. I am sure I am forgetting someone and I ask that you forgive me. I am still on Vegas time! ;)
Please remember Owen as he finishes up his time at Cooks! Prayers that he recovers quickly!





Comments
Post a Comment