A love note of sorts..

Dusty and I have been blessed with superior examples of marriage in our lives. His parents are celebrating thirty years together today. What an amazing accomplishment. Thirty years of working to provide love and support to each other, day in and day out. Thirty years of raising kids and raising hell when the kids are not around. Thirty years of moving away from family and back again. Thirty years of building a home for themselves and the kids who never realized how good they had it. Thirty years of learning to live with each other and all the annoying quirks because the idea of living without those things is heart wrenching. Thirty years of standing by each other, in the good and bad. Thirty years of finding romance in sick kids and cartoons. 



Thirty years seems like a long time to a person who has been married four. Thirty years seems impossible to someone whose culture seems to almost encourage divorce and infidelity. Thirty years is a beacon of hope to those who are just starting out. Thirty years is a dream for those who are still searching for their happily ever after. Thirty years is possible and wonderful. 


When Dusty and I were doing premarital counseling, one of the questions we were asked was, "What are your favorite five things about your future spouse?" If I recall correctly, I could only think of three or four (haha, sorry Dust!) but the first or second on my list was his family. A family that got together nearly every Sunday and had lunch. A family that went on family vacations together. A family that laughed for years after about how terrible it was. 


The core of this family are the parents that have spent so much time and attention and money giving their kids more than they had growing up. Teaching them that no marriage was perfect but was worth it. I am so very grateful to Dennis and Bonnie for raising their eldest son, my husband, to know what a marriage means. To know its worth. I am so very appreciative that they raised two more children to love me as a sibling and bring two more siblings through marriage. I am only beginning to understand how much it means that they are Gunner's Bon Bon and Papa. I wish I could do more to show them what their efforts over the last thirty years mean to me, and my little family. They are part of the solid foundation that God has been blessed us with. I am forever grateful for the impact that was made thirty years ago when Dennis Dickson married Bonnie Phillips. 



So Bonnie and Dennis, today, thirty years after you said I do, I am saying thank you. For your example. For your love. For your support. For letting me share your name. For hugging my child through his crankiness. For listening. For the countless meals around your dining room table. For your marriage, because it has brought such blessings to me. Thank you. 

All my love, because you have shared so much with me,

Jaimie


Comments

Popular Posts