Books #3-5
The Post Mistress by Sarah Blake- I had a hard time digesting this book for some reason. It is World War II which is definitely one of my favorite genres but for some reason this book was different. It was told from several points of view, predominately the post mistress in a small town on the East coast and a radio girl, traveling throughout Europe. The story line was slow in some sections of the book and I did not care for some of the characters. It was not neatly tied up at the end like I was hoping. Sarah Blake (I’m sure intentionally) makes you think about sad situations and what choices you would make differently.
Tuesdays with Morrie: An Old Man, A Young Man, and Life’s Greatest Lesson by Mitch Albom- This book was such a quick read and so very good. It reminded me of The Last Lecture (another book you should read or watch the actual lecture online). It reminds you to stop and reevaluate every little bit of life. As humans we let the wrong aspects of our lives dictate our feelings and dreams. Morrie was able to know and do this all his life, and teach others this during his courses on campus and finally through Mitch and the book written about him. This would make a great gift.
A Thousand White Women: The Journals of May Dodd- This book was a period piece but not one that I read often. The story is made of journal entries and letters from May Dodd who is forced into an asylum by her family. She is offered her freedom by volunteering to become a bride to a Cheyenne indian. It was very well written, to the point of forgetting it was fictional. Some of the content is more mature but overall the book was one I enjoyed very much.
Comments
Post a Comment