Hotdogs and heroes!
Time has gotten away from me. Somehow the month of August came and went and I was still holding my camera up, counting to three. Our weekends were packed full of parties and sleepovers and football games. I will catch up someday on my blogging. It’s a goal remember!?
Many months ago, I wrote a blog about Gunner's second cousin Owen. (You can read it here.) The Turners were blessed by so many people and organizations. Ronald McDonald House was one of them. Since then, it has been on our hearts to return the favor. And so, a group of us made plans to provide lunch for the families currently at the house. Then we got the call that a group of volunteers was scheduled to be there at the same time. Oh yeah, and they were going to be dressed up as superheroes! I was thrilled. I love themes. I force themes on the people I love most. For everything. If a group of 2 or more people gathers, there should be a theme. Don’t question it people, just drink the koolaid. The themed koolaid no doubt.
The menu of chilidogs and sides was created and everyone volunteered to bring one thing or another. We had masks for the kids to decorate and stickers and four desserts. If crafts don’t speak to you, dessert will. Four choices of desserts speaks in loud volumes. We had a huge group of ladies who volunteered their time and money to this lunch. A few ladies woke up under the weather so they stayed home. The families staying at the house have someone in the hospital and we do not want to spread anything. A small cold can be so much more for these families. We missed these ladies but appreciated them staying home.
A little after 10:00 AM, we were unloading our goodies and setting up. Everyone had their station and it was so much fun. My heart was so full from the love these women were preparing in the form of hotdogs. They gave up their time with families (and right before school started by the way!) to spend time with total strangers who were just trying to get home with all their kids. I appreciate the friendships that started years back and have matured into what I have today. I look forward to getting to know the women who I just met but found to be beautiful and hilarious and thoughtful. The kitchen (and grill) was full of women who had helpful hands and loving souls.
Then the superheroes walked in and everyone started to stare! We, as grown women, some of whom have told their children to not stare, stared. We took pictures, some sneaky, some asking for a big group shot.
The kids loved seeing all of them. Not only did they get to see and talk to them, they played with them. They blew bubbles. I saw one superhero (names will not be given-its superhero code-duh!) that talked a kid into a cookie. Never being in the same position as these kids, I cannot say what they thought or felt but I thought it was magic as a 26 year old adult. Our lunch seemed to go pretty well. Leftovers were packaged up and left in the community fridge. Counters were wiped down and dishes washed. It was 1:30 PM.
The kids loved seeing all of them. Not only did they get to see and talk to them, they played with them. They blew bubbles. I saw one superhero (names will not be given-its superhero code-duh!) that talked a kid into a cookie. Never being in the same position as these kids, I cannot say what they thought or felt but I thought it was magic as a 26 year old adult. Our lunch seemed to go pretty well. Leftovers were packaged up and left in the community fridge. Counters were wiped down and dishes washed. It was 1:30 PM.
And just like that, the day was over for us. We were able to leave Ronald McDonald House knowing that our families were waiting for us. Healthy, energetic, growing. We had homes to return to and complain about the dirty dishes to wash and laundry to fold. We were so very blessed because of what we were leaving and what we were heading towards. I pray for the families who are still waiting to walk out of those doors and head home. I pray for the doctors who are healing those kids at Cooks and every other hospital. I leave their health in the hands of the Ultimate Healer and I make lunch until His plan is done.

Comments
Post a Comment