Book Update


19. Counting by 7s by Holly Goldberg Sloan- This book follows a young girl in a terrible year. She is different than other kids and knows it. Her (adoptive) parents have encouraged to find friends but her intellect seems to tangle up the perceptions others have of her. Usually younger point of views annoy me (think A Fault in Our Stars) but she was just so funny and cute and somehow profound at the same time. It was a quick read and I saved several quotes. I loved the other characters in the book as well. It is a group of misfits finding acceptance in each other, bettering themselves, and being weirdos. This would be movie worthy. 
20. And the Mountains Echoed by Khaled Hosseini- This is the same author of The Kite Runner and A Thousand Splendid Suns. Both of his previous books left such an impression on me. It was a look into a world that I would hear about in "adult conversation" many years ago. And The Mountains Echoed was no different. It was a very serious book. Some pages I read made me think “missed opportunities” and some pages made me think “there is always an opportunity”. Maybe that is the same statement spoken by different stances on life. I would suggest this book with the disclosure that it is not a light read.
21. Lost Lake by Sarah Allison Allen- When I first read the back of the book, I thought it would be based mainly in the past but it was actually more present day. It was not especially deep or cramming life lessons down your throat. It also had a bit of magic in it so maybe that’s why it is less than my favorite. I liked all the characters though. Great for a quick summer read.

Comments

Popular Posts