Nearly halfway!
Book 9- Twelve Years a Slave by Soloman Northup, edited by David Wilson- Let me begin by saying non fiction is just not for me. Possibly because I know the outcome since the man lived or because the story line didn’t have fluff, just facts. However, I am glad I read the book. I knew that free men and women were captured and smuggled South but never thought about how easy it was for slave traders to do. Northup was kidnapped, name changed, and just like that he became a slave. No one who bought him cared to know that he was not for sale. It makes you remember how very unfair it was for these men and women. It also helps me remember that this still happens. There are various videos and articles about sex slaves in the present tense. We have obviously failed others as we have not been able to stop this “ancient” practice while the traffickers have improved their systems. Soap box over.
Book 10- The American Heiress by Daisy Goodwin- This was a book I grabbed in Target at Weatherford last minute before we left for Vegas. There was a time pre-Kate Middleton that Americans were obsessed with royalty. So much so that the rich families made their way to Europe to hunt husbands. This is the story of a young (very rich) American girl who falls in love with a (poor ish) Duke. It could be a little slow in some parts but overall I liked it. The main character was slightly annoying because she was young and rich. She would throw fits that my poor self just wanted to punch her for. I would almost feel sympathy until I realized that her servants did not respect. The ultimate first world problem. Ha. The good news is she matures which makes me not hate her at the end.
Book 11- Whisting by the Graveyard by Susan Crandall- I loved this book! So very much. Reminds me of The Help a little bit. It is written through a young girl, Starla, who lives in Mississippi. She has a broken family and is searching for her momma who is just too busy being famous to come back and get her. Of course, we know that she will be sorely disappointed but she finds people along the way who are better than her momma could ever try to be. They just happen to be black which is a problem in the 1960’s in Mississippi. Starla is sassy and so innocent considering what is happening all around her at the time. Eula is someone you would just want to hug if she existed in real life. She has faith, when she has had plenty of opportunities to question God’s love. She is a momma bear to children because she wants to be and she thrives at it. It was sleep loss worthy. I bought this book at Target as well so I can let whoever borrow it!
Book 12- The Peach Keeper by Sarah Addison Allen- This was a very quick read. It follows two girls (who are polar opposites but struggling with similar identity issues) who investigate what happened at the largest house in town back in the 1930s. I love that time period and wish they would have included more chapters of it. It had love stories in it to keep it kinda light considering some of the content is a bit dark. Not sure it would be teen appropriate.
I have plans to read Growing Up Dugger and Gone Girl. Obviously I love most of TLC's line up… unashamed! Gone Girl was recommended by my March Mom group. And it will be a movie this summer and I always like comparing those. I have one more from the library visit yesterday and then those above since I have a Barnes and Noble book credit! Holy cow, books add up really fast by the way. I have resumed my visits to the library since they are free versus $10-$15 a book!
Comments
Post a Comment