The 707!
Last night, we finally had our Christmas with my side of the family. This seems strange to many (unless you know my parents) but my parents have been paying two mortgages while their old house has been for sale so Christmas was put on hold. It sold this week, much to their relief! And the family who is moving in is so excited to start memories there. The mother actually hugged my mom to say thank you. So cute.
We moved a lot growing up.. three houses in Austin, two houses in Priddy, and two houses in Comanche (now three!). When moving from Austin to Priddy, I remember throwing myself on my bed over the news because my life had to be over to move so far away. (I wish those were my biggest problems these days!) I survived that move and actually decided to switch to Comanche ISD myself several years later. Maybe because I am more sentimental now as a mother but this house was harder to say goodbye to.
So I will give the house a mental hug every time I pass it and thank it for holding so many memories for me. And then I will keep driving to the new house that holds a promise of what is to come, the good and bad. Just like the houses before it.
We moved a lot growing up.. three houses in Austin, two houses in Priddy, and two houses in Comanche (now three!). When moving from Austin to Priddy, I remember throwing myself on my bed over the news because my life had to be over to move so far away. (I wish those were my biggest problems these days!) I survived that move and actually decided to switch to Comanche ISD myself several years later. Maybe because I am more sentimental now as a mother but this house was harder to say goodbye to.
- It was the house where I got ready for junior and senior prom, my high school graduation, and my wedding showers. Please understand the difficulty of this without central air conditioning... in Texas... in 90+ degree weather.
- It was the house I left for college from, and the place in my mind when I was homesick in Denton.
- It was the house where my family suffered through Mom's menopause (the debate is still out for who suffered more: Mom vs Dad & my sister).
- It was the house where I helped my sister get ready for her baby shower for my oldest nephew. My mom has the cutest picture of me curling her hair with little Kaleb in her belly.
- It was the house that my husband picked me up from for our first date.
- It was also the house that I came home to the night he proposed.
- It was the house that my aunt told us that her cancer was back.
So I will give the house a mental hug every time I pass it and thank it for holding so many memories for me. And then I will keep driving to the new house that holds a promise of what is to come, the good and bad. Just like the houses before it.
Comments
Post a Comment